A small kitchen need not be dull, drab and boxy. Even if there are building or budget restrictions, you can make your small kitchen not only more efficient but also make it look roomier. Here are a few tips to help you do that.
1. Have as many cabinets in the kitchen as possible. This way, the appliances or dishes which you use less often can be stored in them. Countertop will have more space.
2. Counter surfaces should be free of clutter. There is no need to put your toaster, coffeemaker and such things on the counter. A moveable industrial cart or pantry cupboard will take care of them.
3. Look for alternative storage space. Basement or space under the stairway can be used to store cookware and dishes which you rarely use.
4. Use of glass can be a way of visually expanding your kitchen. When you can see through the objects, it gives a sense of space. Think of glass door cabinets or glass kitchen doors.
5. More light in the kitchen really helps. Hanging pendant lights on your eating area and incandescent lighting under upper cabinets will work for your kitchen.
6. Unify the look of your kitchen like same color and style of cabinet pulls and fixtures.
7. If you can afford it, use granite countertop which is more affordable in small kitchen. Also since the space is small, you can afford tumbled marble flooring which looks beautiful. All this creates a wonderful first impression.
8. Make good use of colors to enhance the look of your kitchen. Pastels, light colors and whites, all reflect light and space look bigger. But that doesn’t mean you have to restrict yourself to light shades. Bold colors are also effective. Use of blue, green and red can also be used to give a style statement. Colorful cabinetry looks cool.
9. Use your kitchen only for its main purpose i.e. cooking. Don’t try to do all things like mail, schoolwork and laundry in a small kitchen. Focus on appliances and work areas used foe meal preparation.
10. Keep the kitchen surfaces religiously clean. A neat, clean and uncluttered kitchen looks not only bigger but also looks far better than a large but cluttered and untidy kitchen.